Thursday, May 10, 2007

Deaf Cartoonists Society

G'evening, folks! Today is my day off from work on the book project, which is very near to completion. Whew! Working in the field of children's book illustration was an interesting experience for me and I'm enjoying it. I am not at liberty to give you details yet on this book that I am doing illustrations for, but when it is ready, I will certainly post a press release on the company's behalf. Parents and children, whether deaf, hoh or hearing, will like this new treat coming soon in the future!

It has been a while since my last entry in the deaf blogosphere. To new bloggers and visitors of DeafRead, I'd like to introduce myself. I am an illustrator and a cartoonist. It is now 30 years since my first career opportunity came up when I was 11 and did illustrations for my stepfather's 1977 New Hampshire Farmer's Market Almanac. That must be a rare publication by now - probably hard to find - but if any of you fans of my artwork ever happen to find it, let me know! :>

Last night my friend and I went to a SCCS (Southern California Cartoonists Society) meeting, which is held on a monthly basis. I was the only deaf cartoonist attending, with my friend who volunteered to interpret for me. Dean LeCrone showed us his homemade movie, Dean LeCrone vs. The Mutants of Comic Con , which we thought was amusing. While we watched the movie, Joe Schmidt, another fellow cartoonist (who happens to know how to sign) , drew a portrait of me sitting at the table. I was so impressed by his accurate rendering of my profile and thought I'd show it to you. Thanks, Joe!


Now, my thoughts after I watched LeCrone's video of Comic Con. Folks, as you may know, Comic Con is coming up soon this summer (July 26-29 2007) at San Diego Convention! For more information on the annual event, see their website, http://www.comic-con.org/. Interpreting services will be provided at the event for deaf/hoh patrons. Unfortunately, I was not able to get a booth for deaf cartoonists this year. I was informed by a Comic Con staff member that booths sell out very fast and that the best time is to get a table in a year advance. Besides, one must have a publication in order to reserve a booth. Publication with my artwork will not be yet released until at a later date. Nonetheless, I am not giving up on my dream of a deaf cartoonists booth at Comic Con. I would like to take this opportunity to encourage other fellow deaf artists to get together and form a Deaf Cartoonists Society. The Deaf Cartoonists Society would be modeled after the National Cartoonist Society, with which SCCS is affiliated. DCS' mission would be to exhibit artwork by deaf cartoonists in a museum or a gallery. We have a year ahead of us to get a booth in '08, so I will be concentrating my effort on finding sponsors for supporting a DCS booth now that I have connections to Comic Con. If any of you artists are interested in getting involved, let me know! There's still an opportunity for those who would like to meet me in person or get an autograph from me...SCCS and NCS are hosting a Comic-Con Kick Off Party at Buster's Beach House and Longboard Restaurant at 807 Harbor Dr. (next to Convention Center). I'll be there! Hope to see you come!

No comments: